Monday, December 21, 2009

Carter

Carter,



I've been trying to think about all the things I wanted to tell you on your 3rd birthday. But, you already know everything, so there's not much of a point.
You're quite the arguer, but a reasonable one. (If that makes sense?)




In all the parenting books, they say that unless you can explain it in 25 words or less, you won't get it. To not even try to reason with you.
And while I definitely agree with the sentiment, sometimes it is because Mama said so, we do try to explain things to you. And it does really work.
But, I also think you're the exception, not the rule.



When you were about 2 1/2, I read THREE books trying to figure you out. You were about to send me to the mental institution and I didn't think I was going to survive the summer of '09. The books helped a lot. And so did going back home. (We were in America visiting Grandparents that whole summer.)



You always amaze me with the things you can do or ask. You're already in the "why?" stage and want to understand everything. You can play pretend with the best of them, and make friends instantly just to have someone to play "Samson and Ryan" or "Run from the Alien" with.



You are starting to draw actual pictures of things (not just scribbles) and can climb rock wall by yourself without a harness.
Your daddy and I have started giving you a fair amount of freedom this year to teach you cause and effect. You have done a lot of things on your own, cried it out some, with no sympathy from us, and learned from your mistakes! It's amazing to watch that light bulb go off. AND, to not have to say "NO!" So much.



You and your little brother are best friends, and I am so glad that y'all have each other. As I write this you are both giggling about you putting a crunchies can on your heads and letting it fall off onto the hard floor. You started sharing a room together when we moved into our new house a week ago, and we now couldn't stand to separate you.



You were not happy about our big move this year. We moved from Korea to Edwards AFB, CA. It was a long tedious 30+ hour trip, but you made it. And adjusted to the time zone pretty easily.
I know you were sad to leave the first friends you've ever really made, (and some of the moms too!) and the first house you remember. But you love it here very much now.
I think you especially love not having to wear a jacket, getting to talk a little walk to the playground, and having a yard to play in.
In fact, you've already made a new friend across the street!



I wish I could describe to you how bright I think you are. It amazes me EVERYDAY the things you say or pickup or just, figure out! This year you learned to use the potty in about 4 days. Nighttime is still a different story. But you haven't had an accident while you were awake it probably 4 or 5 months. I never expected potty training with you to be easy. But maybe God was throwing me a bone there?



While you give me a hard time about following directions, you are quite the stickler for rules when you are playing with others.
You are always very well behaved for other babysitters (or other mommies) and do whatever is asked of you. You can act very grownup and are capable of so much.
This is hard for me, your daddy has to remind me that just because you're capable of some things a 5 year old can do, doesn't mean you're still not 3.
But, when I was growing up, as soon as you showed you were capable, it was expected. And I don't think that I'm asking too much from you. I want you to have a strong sense of accomplishment for what you can do and motivation for what lies ahead. I want you to have a strong self esteem without a sense of entitlement. In these days, it seems hard to come by. But you are a sweet, caring, smart young boy. You deserve it, and I will do whatever it takes to give that to you.



Love,

Mama.

1 comment:

Anna Jane said...

Awww, he's getting so big! Charlie still points out his friends in the pic of Carter and Ava from the Fire Station. I hope they get to be close friends again someday when we're stationed together. Happy Birthday, Carter!!!