Friday, January 11, 2013

Custody

We're having a situation at our house, and both Cory and I are at a loss on how to settle this. Neither of us know the 'right' answer. So maybe you, my fellow bloggers, can help me solve this problem.

Clay has had a buddy he sleeps with (Becky) for a year or two now. It's one of his favorites, and one he asks for or plays with often. Every now and then, Carter would say, "Clay, that Becky is really mine."

Clay would argue with him and come to me, where I would say, "Carter, that's Clay's buddy. Why are you trying to take it?"

"But Mom, Nana and Pop gave that to me. I know it." But it never really escalated past that. Carter was never visibly distressed about it, but would more just remind Clay that it was his.

I should have paid more attention to what Carter was saying. I should know by now that Carter's memory is infallible. If he says it happened. There's 110% chance it happened.

Two nights ago, Carter found his Oh the Thinks You Can Think book. And he came over to me and said, "LOOK mom! I told you Becky was mine!"

Inside the cover of the book, was written "To: Carter [insert loving message] Love, Nana and Pop."

Well, the character on Oh the Thinks you Can Think is, in fact, 'Becky'.

This may not make sense. So let me back up a bit.

My in laws regularly send the kids the 'Kohl's Cares' kids books with a matching stuffed animal (or buddy in our case) So, we have several pairs of books/buddies. For example: Vivi has a rabbit to go with The Velveteen Rabbit book.  Each kiddo probably has about 3 or 4 buddy/book pairs.

So it turns out 'Becky' was originally Carter's.

But here's the thing. Obviously, he wasn't so attached to it back then because otherwise the ownership would never have been allowed to be transferred to Clay (in reality or in Clay's mind.) Carter has buddies that are his, and we know it....everyone knows it. Clay wouldn't ever take one  - out of fear of retribution.

But now, Carter is obsessed with Becky. He wants custody and wants Clay to relinquish all parental rights.
But Clay is really distressed about this. He doesn't want to give Becky up to Carter. He loves Becky and really believes he is his.

What's the right answer? Who owns Becky?
I think Carter only wants him for the pure fact that he knows Becky is technically his.  But Clay wants Becky because because he loves him and has thought he was always his.

I feel like there's a lesson in here somewhere, and I don't want to teach the wrong one.

2 comments:

Anna Jane said...

No clue on how to handle it, but I'd favor Clay in this situation. He's loved and cared for Becky for a long time and I think it'd be so sad to give Becky back to Carter. I'll mull this one over on how to handle it. Charlie had a frog blanket that he's had since he was a baby. He was never attached to it until he saw how much Jane loved her own version (a dog), then became obsessed with his frog. It's so hard to know what your kid is going to become attached to. But I really believe those attachments are an important part of a kids development. Tough situation! Why is parenting so difficult even with these "little issues"?!

Anna said...

I would totally buy another Becky and skip the lesson.