Friday, May 17, 2013

Stranger

I'm in an awkward social predicament. Everyone has those, and it seems to be that the longer you let it go on, the worse it gets.
There's a lady that I see almost on a daily basis that knows my name. She says hi to me, I wave and say, "Hey! How are you!?" back. She knows my kids' names. And the thing is, I know WHERE I know her from. But I don't KNOW WHO SHE IS. She is the mom of some cub scouts in our cub scout pack. I even know which neighborhood she lives in. I know her dog's name (because she came into the vet on the same day we were there and picked up medication for her dog)! I see HER ALL THE TIME. But I do not know her name. 
I even tried process of elimination. I dug up a cub scout program that had the boys' names listed to match her to her kids. (See, I'm serious about trying to stealthily find out who she is so that I will never have to admit I don't know her name!) But there were a few too many to reliably know which one was her. If you count the total amount of time I've known her, It's been about 7 or 8 months. But at the beginning I didn't realize she knew who I was and wasn't too concerned about needing to know her name. But then, she started chatting me up, saying hi and I was like, "Ooh, I should know her name. Oh, I'll figure it out soon enough." But then, I would forget until the next time I saw her and every avenue of "who is that" I tried to go down lead to a dead end. I don't know how many more options I have left other than just asking her outright what her name is. But it's been 7 or 8 months. She's going to know I haven't known her name for the whole time! 7 or 8 months is a long time!

2 comments:

Kat said...

oh my gosh, Lauren, you crack me up sometimes! You totally just admit to stuff that we all secretly keep hidden. Love it!! I ALSO have a lady like this, and haven't a clue....I see her all over and she knows all our names. My *trick* in the past is to hope that at some point I run into her with Bryan, give him the heads up, and then HE introduces himself. This forces her to introduce herself...then I can be like, "oh, sorry, ha ha, I should've introduced you two". Hasn't happened yet.

So silly, but it happens to me a lot as we move around. I really wish I was better at names !!

Deborah said...

Volunteer to help with something at Cub Scouts that would require you making a sign up sheet for parents with name and phone number, like snacks or a bake sale or something (I don't exactly know what Cub Scouts do...)