Sunday, July 17, 2011

Cryin' in the Rain

It has rained here for almost a whole week. And the last 24 hours have been constant. I don't mind the 1-2 hours of afternoon thunderstorms. In fact, they're nice.  But the constant rain, ug. However, the boys have learned that thunder and lightening aren't scary and it makes me feel better about the fact that I'm surfing facebook with a flask of wine in hand cleaning and working on my to-do list and not playing outside.
After a few days of sitting on the front porch and watching it rain, I decided on a whim that they could go play in it. And, for those of you that know me, that's A BIG FREAKING DEAL.


I hate....messes (unless said mess is occupying kids and allowing me more time to surf facebook) so naturally, wet kids falls in that category.
But, I'm a fun mom right?




I can do things that are spontaneous, and FUN! I do FUN! things all the time. Look at me! FUN! FUN! FUN!
So, being a FUN! mom, I told them, "Go ahead, go play in it. Run around! Get wet!"




"SERIOUSLY?!" Carter exclaimed. And they were off.


They ran and played....for approximately 90 seconds. Then, Carter jumped in a mud puddle, got mad because he was 'dirty', and proceeded to cry until I brought them inside. I tried to tell Carter that he can just sit on the porch until Clay was done. But he was being MISERABLE, and LOUD and MISERABLE. I couldn't just send him inside, since he was all wet and muddy. So I convinced Clay to come inside for a bath.
Poor Clay, he just has to 'go with it' most of the time. It sucks being the middle child.




This is very typical Carter. I feel like I force him to have fun. Or maybe it's that he doesn't think anything I try to get him to do is fun. He hates riding bikes, playing any kind of ball (so I'm sure the soccer lessons I signed him up for last week will go swimmingly.) or any outdoor activity. He prefers to watch movies, play any kind of pretend, do a puzzle or beat up his brother.





Well, no singin' in the Rain for my kids...

No comments: