Thursday, June 28, 2012

OCD Moment

I've been experiencing some insomnia lately. Especially on nights before I wake up for early gym time. It's like my body knows it's only going to get up in a few hours, coupled with anxiety about how many guys will be in the weight room with me. Ugh, I hate the weight room. I love weight lifting, but hate the weight room. I would be perfectly fine doing everything with the soft 8-10lb free weights, a body bar and a exercise ball. But since I am following a certain workout plan, I am trying to not to alter my exercises and 'cheat'.

So, insomnia leads to thinking about crazy things I don't normally have time to think about. But you want to know something that bothers my OCD? Seeing dogs of completely different sizes/breeds/shapes together. Wait, let me explain....
It's not that it is wrong, or I think it doesn't make logical sense. I think people who have all types of dogs, or have a few are great! They're wonderful for being open to all shapes/sizes of doggies. But for some reason, I get that little 'sting' that accompanies OCD/anxiety when I see people walking dogs that are totally different.

For instance, I could never have a Basset Hound and a German Shepherd. I can't have a chihuahua and a Rhodesian Ridgeback. These dogs are so different in their size, breed, demeanor. 
I could have two chihuahuas, or a chihuahua and a pomeranian type doggie. I could have two similar typed terrier breeds. I would even be fine with A German Shepherd and a Lab. Those mixtures are okay. They are similar enough in size and temperament. But ideally, I would have two identical animals.
I noticed this mostly when we were visiting the shelter last weekend. We played with this little (10lb-ish) black and brown pincher-chihuahua-some dog that was bigger-mix, and I just couldn't commit to him. First of all, his temperament wasn't what we were looking for, so before you banish me to hell for being a doggy racist, we wouldn't have gotten him anyway. BUT, I just couldn't see having two dogs that looked so different! Is that weird? No, keep that opinion to yourself. 

Now, some of you are going to say, "Well, but you got a CAT! What could be more different than that?'

But see, it doesn't bother me when they are different species. For some reason. I don't know why, but it doesn't. But now, If we were to ever get another cat (this is totally hypothetical) I think it would need to be orange-y, or at least short haired. I couldn't have a short haired tabby and then a long haired something or another. 

Disclaimer: This isn't supposed to make sense to normal people. 

2 comments:

Our Traveling Circus said...

The dog walkers here agree with you! There are dog walkers for big dog breeds and other dog walkers for little dog breeds. They keep it separate.

Hope you can get some sleep soon!!

sarah said...

So does it bother you that I have 1 orange cat and 1 Siamese?