Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Years Resolution

I don't ever make new year's resolutions. I've never had any bad vices worth getting rid of and I couldn't diet if I tried.
However this year, family has really taken on an even bigger part of my life (considering there's more of us now) and I feel like I owe it to one member of the family to try harder:




The dog.



Bailey's had a similar life to many other dogs. She came first, then two kids later she's pretty far down on the totem pole. She's still above ground on Cory's totem pole and actually just right under the kids. But somehow on mine, she ended up 6 feet under with concrete poured on top. Since having kids everything she does - including breathing - irritates me. She's too big, or shedding too much, or is too needy or gets in every one's face when they come to visit, or makes my house stink, and not to mention she occasionally pees in the house when she's sleeping.
But, I used to really love Bailey, I mean I still do love Bailey. I am the one who convinced my husband to get her, I did her obedience training with her, she used to go to doggy daycare and the dog park and get new toys and now she usually just gets yelled at to GET OUT OF THE KITCHEN.

So, my resolution is to have more patience with the dog. She can't help her circumstances. Poor thing, she's miserable in an apartment and it's not her fault. My argument is that I don't have enough patience for two kids a husband AND a dog, but I think in 2009, I can squeeze her in, I can make room for her again.

Bailey, I do love you and I'm sorry I've been so impatient and unfair to you. You're a good dog.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I need to do this too, Lauren. Poor Nilla always gets ingored because I am to tired to walk her or it is too cold outside, etc. So this year I resolve to walk her daily whether Shawn is willing to go with me or not. She is a good dog and she deserves some attention.

Anonymous said...

Strike that resolution. Shortly after writing that I took Nilla for a walk and she was attacked by a loose pit bull. She is alive but really messed up with bite wounds and hematomas on her neck. Call me some time in the evening and I will give you the details. Hope your resolution works out better than mine did.

Anna said...

That is so sweet, you should read it to her. And watch out for pit bulls; that is horrible.