When Carter was born/little, I was so consistent. We had a routine, we only strayed when we had to, and once I made a decision, I always stuck to it. That's the only reason he's as good of a sleeper as he is, I NEVER MADE IT AN OPTION.
However, now that I'm trying to get Clay to sleep in his bed I find myself having no willpower at all. When we ferberized Carter, I did exactly as the book said, I NEVER brought him back into the bed, I could see the light at the end of the tunnel and knew it was worth it. But the last two nights, I have been such a wiener and a slave to sleep that I'm gone and 'rescued' Clay out of his bed and put him next to me again.
And while I know that right now, there's really no harm in him sleeping with us (we're actually sleeping great with him there) I know that I don't want him in the bed at a year old. And the sooner I do this, the easier it will be. Babies have a lot more opinions and willpower at 6-8 months than they do at 3.
I just don't seem to have any willpower these days. I've also been letting things slide with Carter, kind of pretending he didn't do this, and "not seeing" that he did that. I know this isn't helping ANYONE, but I can't get out of this lazy attitude.
It's easy to give in, it's harder to see the end result and trudge through. I've got to remember the rewards of well behaved children and good sleepers, wish me luck.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I wish you luck and send my love. You know, as long as they can't read your blog, you can slide a little. There is no set owner's manual on children because they are people. They are all different and they need differing amounts of personal attention and supervision. Don't beat yourself up and just hang in there. As you work towards the ultimate goal of raising productive adults these little foibles and failures will fade into oblivion as they cast a respectable shadow later. Kinda like you have done inspite of the times your folks just kinda let you rule the roost rather than fight you constantly. Then they just ahd a "Come to Jesus" meeting when you pushed it a little far.
I had exactly the same problem with Emma. Just didn't have the energy to "fight it" anymore. Jack's a good sleeper....Emma not so much. Fight it or you, too, could be sleepless with a 2.5 year old. UGH!
Post a Comment