Tuesday, June 30, 2009

O+

I've got a long list of things to do before I head to the states in a week. Some of that includes
  • getting a POA for the dog
  • making sure Clay can re-enter the country when we come home since there is no record of him "coming in". That requires a special stamp on his passport, and I'm a slacker and haven't gotten him one yet. And don't look down on me because I haven't done it yet. It takes like a whole novel's worth of paperwork. Who has time for that?
  • making sure everyone's shots are up to date
  • picking up Clay's Echo and Chest x-ray films
  • PACKING



But one thing not on my list was getting a kajillion tubes of blood drawn.
As most of you remember, I had a blood transfusion back in September.
They told me back in February, during an interesting phone call, that because Korean blood is not regulated by the FDA I'd need to come in and have some bloodwork done, just to check everything out.
They assured me , after a few momets of panic, that Korea DOES test their blood, but the FDA doesn't test it. I need to be tested for about a kajillion different diseases. Woohoo!

I had the blood drawn in February, and got the results back two weeks ago. I was in the clear! No mad cow, hepatitis or the hiv. Woohoo! I wasn't really too concerned (after all the Flight Doc didn't seem to be.)
But I got a phone call today saying I needed to come in and have MORE blood drawn because of the transfusion.
This nice gentleman informed me that I can't just rely on one test. I have to be tested at 3, 6, 9 months and 1 and 2 years. WHHHHHHAAAAAAT?
Are you kidding me?
While I'm a pretty laid back person and have lots and lots and lots of faith in the medical community, I really don't like the fact that I'm always going to have that little worry that something could show up in a year! Or two years!?
I know the AF wouldn't have let me go to this hospital and get a transfusion if they didn't think it was safe. I trust them, I really do.
But it still doesn't take away that small maybe, that worry that will be in the back of my head until I have my final blood draw.

You know, we just like to keep life interesting.

1 comment:

Curtis said...

I will keep an eye on you during full moons while you are here just in case they have turned you into a Werewolf or a Vampire. I don't know if there are Korean Werewolves or Vampires, but you never know. We will be sure to put all the silver and garlic away.