Turns out my 'champion nurser' isn't the champ we thought he was. After our appointment yesterday we discovered Clay has been losing weight and his bilirubin is back on the rise. I saw our OB nurse practitioner and certified lactation consultant and came up with at least a temporary plan of action. Clay has been latching on well, but tires easily (because he's early) and starts to slide off, so he's not efficient at getting enough but is 'satisfied' because he's wearing himself out.
Our dreams of sailing smoothly through breastfeeding have been stomped on as I glance around our bedroom and kitchen at two different breast pumps, shields, herbs for increased production, bottles, valves, formula, breast milk bags, supplementers and syringes.....
Our doctor appointment tomorrow will let us know if he's started gaining weight and please keep your fingers crossed that his jaundice is down, it may sound so selfish...but I don't know if I have it in me to be admitted again.
Tuesday, December 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It sounds similar to some of the issues I had with Saff but I have to say stick with it if you really want it. You can do it and it gets WAY easier!!! Once you give up in your head it's over.
Post a Comment