This is my blog, and I will post in the order I deem appropriate thank you.... Although I will hopefully get the pictures from all the other cool stuff up by the end of the weekend too.
You can read about Clay's tummy issues here and here, and to say they're messy and a pain his (and my) asses are an understatement. No really, his butt has had ongoing acidic, poop, diarrhea rash for going on almost 4 months now..It wasn't a figure of speech.
We've tried every method of getting rid of the diaper rash possible...Trust me, and every time it happens to come up, someone always thinks, "Oh, well have you tried [insert diaper cream here]?" Do they think that maybe in the 4 MONTHS of diarrhea, I haven't tried that? That maybe I didn't go to the store, buy every diaper cream known to man and have my mom swipe prescription diaper cream from a patient - don't' worry they said it was ok - she's totally not a clepto - and put everything known to man, or on the Internet on this kid's butt???? REALLY? YES, I'VE TRIED THAT!
Anyway - After doing a bunch of reading online I had decided to give cloth diapers a try. I know, I know, only tree hugging crunchy, granola people do this right?
Turns out, (at least at Osan) there were a lot of NORMAL people who did this, and swore by it.. I promise, they bathed and ate off real plates and I only saw one of them ever hugging a tree.
But people, desperate times call for desperate measures. You know you've got some serious diaper rash when 3 years after telling people, "No way would I cloth diaper, that's gross, we've evolved, that's why we have Huggies, for Godsake!" I am now a member of the cloth diapering family.
Now, I am at least being reasonable. An initial investment in cloth diapers can run fairly expensive. Cloth diapers aren't what they used to be. They have SNAPS! and VELCRO! and they can grow with your baby from newborn to potty-training. There are about a million different kinds, with different inserts, pockets and methods. I found a website that offers a "trial run". They'll let me try out about 7 different types of cloth diapers. I pay about $150, try them for 21 days and then if I don't like them, I can send them back for a full refund (less $10). I think that's a pretty good deal. I want to try this out, I want it to work, but I don't want to spend $300-$500 on something I've never tried before or that I'm not 100% sold on.
There's definitely a bit of a learning curve (especially when you're trying out a new diaper every diaper change.) And there's a little bit of a gross factor when you're dunking the poopy diaper in the toilet. But so far it's not as "bad" as I thought it would be. We've been doing cloth wipes with an organic diaper solution (that wets the cloth wipes) for about a month now, and I think that was an easy segue into the cloth diapering poop factor.
This is only day 2 of cloth, and I'm still trying to work out what's most absorbent and how often to change him (It's a little more often) and doing a little more laundry than I'm used to - not because I'm having to wash dirty diapers as much as the new diapers require a lot of "pre washing" before they reach their full absorbency.
So far, his rash looks to be improving, but only time will tell!
Here is Clay modeling the bumGenius!3.0
4 comments:
You are so not a hippie. Keep working at it,though, one day you'll get there. It's a lofty goal and I applaud you.
Ooooh, I love Clay in his new dipes. He's a studmuffin! And hopefully his little rear will reap the rewards quickly. Miss you!
Love his heart!! He looks so grown up and such a cutie pie!! I sure hope this is helping him and he gets to feeling better soon! I miss yall so much!!):
So, is Anna Daggett the only one you ever caught hugging a tree at Osan, HAHA?
I'm glad you are giving it a try. Did you ever get the big box I sent you?
Post a Comment