When I look back at the time right after I had Carter, sometimes I can't believe the things I was doing or decisions I was making. My rationale was completely unrealistic and I'm very appreciative of all my family who put up with me in that time.
When my MIL stayed with us, she asked for a pillow and I ACTUALLY took the dog's pillow, changed the case and gave it to her. Luckily I mentioned to her (as I was handing it to her) what I had done. She politely declined the pillow.
What was I thinking?
I made both sets of grandparents sleep on a horribly filthy futon. There were pet stains and pet fur all over it. They just put sheets on it and slept on it without a complaint.
Very soon after I had Carter, the huz and I had a very very big fight. (Yes, my childless friends, the weeks right after baby aren't always Johnson&Johnson commercial appropriate). We were fighting in the car and I actually tried to get out of the car WHILE IT WAS MOVING!
On my 21st birthday, a good friend had called me and offered to watch Carter for the night while the huz and I went out. Carter came down with a cold the day before and I declined her offer. We took a sick baby on my 21st birthday (Which I'm totally sure he enjoyed more than being cuddled in loving arms at a friend's quiet home.) I just couldn't ration is my head "She's had two very preemie babies and is way responsible and would never let anything happen to this kid!"
Another good friend offered to watch Carter for the night so the huz could take me to the ER when I was dying at about 7 days post partum. Instead, I made her come with me and Cory stayed home with the baby. Which, kind of makes sense, but what she told me made more sense. Carter needed loving arms and a bottle. I needed my husband. I still couldn't rationalize it.
There are so many many more bizarre things that I did in the "new mom fog", but those are some that have always stuck with me. I know that it'll be a lot different this next time around. In fact the picture I imagine is that I'll go in, they'll remove baby and we'll go home like nothing ever happened. I'll strap the kid in the sling and he or she will follow Carter around with me all day. But I guess I just wanted to acknowledge everybody in my life's awesomeness for dealing with it. This next birth I hope visibility is good and I'm not flying IFR.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment