I went to the Dr. today. I saw a Korean doctor at the army hospital who spoke fairly good english. Enough to get all the important items across, but it's not the same weighing choices and making pro-con lists with someone who doesn't speak your language. I think we got everything across to each other that we needed to though. So, the plan is...we'll find out the sex on the 6th (that'll also be my next appointment) and we'll take things as they come. I'll continue to be seen at Yongsan since I am now officially 'high risk' or in Dr. Kim's words, "We want to keep good watch on you."
It looks like I will more than likely end up with a repeat c-section since he was trying to explain that a VBAC can be very traumatic for a preemie and if I go to 39 weeks they'll do a section anyway. So, If I can go into labor between 36-39 weeks then I could attempt one. But other than that, it's one more of the magician-saws-a-lady-in-half-routine. I'm hoping I'll at least get to meet the doctor that will be delivering me (since it all depends on who's delivering that day). I just don't think I will ever be able to silently listen to an American woman explain about her lack of choices and sub-par prenatal care again without poking her in the eye with my finger.
Oh yes it's hard when your doctor won't sit down and answer your questions as slowly and lingeringly as you'd like but at least he speaks english. Yes and I know it's hard when you've made a birth plan and you don't get to follow it. I'm sure if I showed up in that place with a birth plan I'd be the laughing stock of the peninsula. It's all about saving life, limb and sight here and unless any of those things are in danger they'll do what they please when they please and how they please or you won't get medical care at all. You actually get to pick your doctor, I basically get to hope there's one working when I got into labor. You pick the hospital (you know the one with a level 4 NICU and the best of the country's neonatal and OB team). There's not even military neonatologists on this peninsula and if -God forbid- my baby needs one he's shipped to a nearby town and Korean hospital in Suwon.
Granted, babies are born in this country everyday and are fine. I just want Americans to realize how lucky (and a lot of times very ungrateful) we are for the choices we can make.
***I need to make a correction, I believe that there is one place in the US that having a baby can be equivalently ridiculous: Alaska. Per my very good friend Erin's labor/delivery experience there. So unless you're having a baby at a military hospital OCOCNUS then keep your trap shut, I don't want to hear any bitchin'.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I hope all of the visits are a success! And no, I won't complain about our services here... though I'd like to sometimes. Hope you're little "diaphragm tenant" is doing well! :) -ash
So funny you mentioned that because I was about to comment on having those very same feelings!! It really will be fine though as long as your Drs. name is not Dr. Bean.
yeah, I've been on the lookout for Mr. Bean. So far he's a no-show. Let's hope to keep it that way
Post a Comment